Monday, October 3, 2011

I'm in love...


“Love is a battlefield” and I’ve been shot at too many times. 

Until….I met THE ONE.

You know the one you can’t stop thinking about, the one that gives you butterflies and makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, the one that you’ve been waiting for all your life, and the one that you can’t imagine life without. 

A soul-mate is hard to come by but once you’ve found that special person you have to try hard to hold onto them. I intend to hold onto my soul-mate for a long time. Good thing I’ve bookmarked her page so I can keep a close eye on my….social bookmarking soul-mate.

We’ve just met, but I instantaneously felt that connection. 

Kate Carlson is the one I’ve been looking for.
 We have sooo many things in common. For example, some of her top bookmarks are “recipes, HP, feminism, baking, and The Office: US.” I mean I don’t care much about baking, or Harry Potter, but I do care about feminism. (See, we’re made for each other)

She hasn’t bookmarked anything since 2010 but when she did she bookmarked pages quite often. (Hey, we all have a past.) She has bookmarked over 1300 pages. (You have to kiss a few frogs before you find the one.)

She has a wide range of topics that she’s bookmarked, but it is easy to navigate her page because she has done a good job in organizing her tags. It was fairly simple to find articles that related to my own interest of women in Hollywood. This extensive collection proves to be very helpful.

She has numerous tags and the one that served most helpful to me was the “feminism” tag, which 80 articles of hers fall under. I found two great articles that she tagged as “feminism” and “film.” She commented on both of these articles which shows that she thoroughly reads the articles as well as voices her opinion on the article and even starts discussions with others about the article.

In an article entitled, Single Feisty Females and the Bechdel-Wallace Test she was the first to bookmark this page and a few others bookmarked soon after. She found a hidden treasure of a blog and brought it to the attention of others.

Girls on Film: Ellen Page, Gender, and Cinematic Sexuality is another great article about how Ellen Page has been deemed “boy-like and asexual” because of the clothes that she wears and that the clothing in films helps characterize what is “sexy” or not. (Apparently not wearing short skirts and tops with cleavage makes you a boy.) (I wonder how they would have classified Eve and her plant ensemble.)
 
These are just two examples of articles that can help develop my own blog and that spark new ideas of topics that I should include.

Just by following this one person alone on Diigo I came across at least ten great articles that I hadn’t encountered before. Although many of the bookmarked pages were not academic articles it still provided me with great content to reference in my blog.  

By browsing Diigo profiles I can find people with similar interests and can filter out all other information not pertaining to my blog topic.

I’ve traveled the social bookmarking battlefield far and wide, and have learned that it really is a great resource to write a paper.

The internet and social bookmaking is like finding your soul-mate, there are so many choices and sometimes you don’t know where to begin but once you do find that one your search is over and life is a lot easier.
It may take time, tears may be shed, heartbreaks may occur, but in the end when you find what you’re looking for…IT”S SO WORTH IT!!


No comments:

Post a Comment